Tuesday, December 18, 2007

World's Easiest Christmas Candy

Ok, I've talked so much about health, eating organically, eating simply, cooking from scratch, etc., and now I'm going to shatter all these wonderful ideals you've built up in your minds concerning me! I do allow myself and my family to splurge at the holidays, and we've taken advantage of it this year! Crystal posted on her site last year about the World's Easiest Christmas Candy. Oh, my! It is SCRUMPTIOUS! But it sounds a little strange to make. Hear me out though....

Preheat over to 350 F.

1 sleeve Saltines (yes, the crackers) spread out on a baking sheet. (Make sure to lay them out so that they're all touching, not spread out over the entire baking sheet.)

Combine 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until gooey (great cooking directions, I know!).

Pour EVENLY over the saltines. I messed this up the first time and poured it in one big glop. It dries quickly and is not very spreadable, so try to pour evenly so that there is not much to spread. If you do mess up, just push the crackers in it and hope for the best. Ours still was very yummy!

Pop in the oven for 5 minutes, until bubbling.

Remove and pour 2 cups chocolate chips EVENLY over entire thing. Wait a minute or two until it's spreadable and spread to coat.

Pop in the refrigerator until it hardens.

Oh, my, ladies, is this ever good! You will want to keep the candy in the refrigerator as it stays more crunchy. It's a great idea for gift-giving (if you can keep your own hands off of it!). Enjoy!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hello Dovey,

I make this recipe every year, except I add chopped walnuts and swirl them into the melted chocolate chips! We've always called it "English Toffee the Easy Way." It does not last very long at our house!

I found your blog via our similar profiles (we both listed Keeping Our Children's Hearts as a favorite book.) When I clicked over, I saw that we have many other things in common!

I noticed, also, in your profile that you live in Indiana. That is the main reason I am contacting you. We are a California homeschooling family who are considering a move to Indiana. In fact, we are flying to your state (for the second time) on Friday! We will stay for four nights and we are going to meet with a realtor this time. The purpose of this January visit is also to help us determine if we think we can handle the Indiana winters!

I would truly appreciate a response via email- jlp91326@yahoo.com -and would love to correspond with you a bit about more specifics on Indiana. We are flying into Indianapolis, and will be looking at some areas South of there.

Thank you!

Kate Ambrose said...

I've seen the recipe on Crystal's Blog, but I wasn't sure about it... it just sounded weird! :)

But with two recommendations, I'm going to have to try it!

Hope you and yours had a great holiday season!

-Kate