Thursday, January 24, 2008

Out of the Mouth of Babes


Remember when I told you that James is quite interested in spiritual things?

Recently, we've been working with Evelyn (3yo) about closing her eyes during prayer. Not because it's commanded in Scripture. Rather because it can be quite distracting to have one's eyes opened when one should be concentrating on his own or other's communion with God. Evelyn struggles much with distraction, so we've been trying to focus her a little.

After prayer for breakfast this morning, Evelyn exclaims, "Mommy, I kept my eyes closed the WHOLE time!" I replied, "That's excellent, Dear. Good job!"

James responded with, "I wonder if it isn't the devil who tries to distract us during prayer. It seems to me that he doesn't want us to concentrate on God." (His words, I promise!)

Wow! The vast responsibility of training children for the Lord's glory!

1 comment:

~Babychaser~ said...

That's great! DH and I teach the children (age 4-11) on Sunday night during the church service and one of the things we always do is pause before prayer to remind them to close their eyes and fold their hands. Both DH and I hate doing things just because, so EVERY week we remind them why we do it...

"ok... let's close our hands and eyes. Why do we do this??? So we are not distracted by what is happening around us and aren't tempted to touch and poke othres." :)

It can be pretty funny some weeks. :)