Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Free Books!

Today was errand day. I try for this only to happen once every two weeks, and we're usually gone 4-6 hours. Today, we were gone for five hours and only missed one stop. That was the farm, and we'll try to do that tonight while Ryan is away.

This was the first week that I kept track of the kids' reading logs and took them by Half-Price Books to claim their $3 coupon. I was so pleased with the results!

The kids wanted a Princess sticker book (Evelyn) and a Lightning McQueen anthology (James) -- I didn't even know they had those -- but, in light of all my reading on Charlotte Mason lately, we were not going to get twaddle when we could get free Caldecott Medal winners! I had been wanting to get Chanticleer and the Fox for a long time. It's an adaptation of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales for children which does not skimp on language and the illustrations are quite well-done.

I have two more weeks where we can get the $3 coupons. This promotion ends on August 2 as does the library reading program. We actually combined the two programs and got credit at both the library and Half-Price Books. We read The Cricket in Times Square and The House at Pooh Corner.

For those adults who haven't read Winnie-the-Pooh books recently (I'm talking about the originals), it's well worth it. The humor is there for the adults to catch on to as well. In fact, I read it aloud one day as we were traveling and Ryan was cracking up at all the references. It would be a refreshing read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Charolotte Mason and have been doing a lot of reading about her recently too! Yay for good books! :) -Eliz.

The Coffee Press said...

We got Chanticleer at a library sale for a quarter and the kids love it!

Barbara Cooney has another excellent book out there called Miss Rumphius. It is a folk tale of sorts that explains how all the lupine flowers ended up in ME.